16 oz package elbow macaroni
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound Italian sausage (or ground turkey, ground chicken, whatever's your pleasure - I used ground chicken in tonight's dish because that's what we had. If you don't use Italian sausage, I'd probably add a little Italian seasoning for flavor.)
2 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes, undrained
2 15 oz cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
shaved/shredded cheese (Romano & Parmesan are good choices)
- Cook pasta to al dente (almost soft with just a little bite). Set aside when done. Meanwhile...
- Heat olive oil in large pot. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft.
- Add meat and cook until is starts to brown.
- Add wine to break up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Add tomatoes, beans, fennel, chicken broth, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Turn down heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. (I usually let mine simmer for a little longer to soak up all the flavors.)
- Add cooked macaroni. Add a little at a time - see how much you want. I usually have about 1 1/2 cups leftover that I'll use in something else the next day.
- Serve with a little cheese on top.
I hope you all enjoy this dish as much as my family and I do. It's quick, simple, and relatively healthy, and as a busy mom, I couldn't ask for anything more! :)