The other day, I made some homemade coffee creamer. The recipe called for 4 tbsp of pumpkin puree, so after cracking open a large can, I had quite a bit leftover. I could have frozen it, but I decided to turn it into a healthy, vegan muffin. These muffins are packed full of healthy ingredients and while they remain moist, they are a dense muffin. Don't expect a fluffy cupcake to come out of the oven, because you won't find that here! Feel free to freeze these puppies and warm them up as you like!
Makes about 16 medium muffins; can be frozen - make in mini muffin tins for a bite-sized treat!
1 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oats
1 tbsp baking powder
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp allspice
3 tbsp flax meal
15 oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
1/2 ripe banana (about 1/3 cup), smashed
4 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp vanilla
1) Combine dry ingredients (flour through flax meal) in a large bowl.
2) Combine wet ingredients (pumpkin through vanilla) in a small bowl.
3) Pour wet ingredients into the large bowl and thoroughly mix with the dry ingredients.
4) Drop batter into muffin tin lined with paper liners, about 2/3 full (batter will be thick).
5) Bake muffins at 375F for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Pour a cup of coffee with some homemade creamer and enjoy one (or more) of these healthy muffins for a yummy treat!